ron+paul+hope+for+america
ronpaulrevolution
Your Political Profile:
Overall: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal
Social Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal
Personal Responsibility: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal
Fiscal Issues: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal
Ethics: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal
Defense and Crime: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal
How Liberal Or Conservative Are You?

Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

freedom message
Disclaimer

Personal Settings

My personal blog about the upcoming presidential election, voicing my opinions on the candidate I am supporting for the upcoming election in 2008. It may also include personal posts I may choose to add.

counters
Broadband DSL
rpaul2008
The Gross National Debt
Price of Addiction
###
to Foreign Oil
Gasoline Prices

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Personal Reflection






This post has much to do on why I walked out on conventional treatment. I know this is a huge step and may have serious consequences, but it is a risk I will be required to take.
I suffer from Bipolar Disorder and for those that are not familiar with what it is you may click here to find exactly what it is.
After having much heated discussion with my doctor and speaking to several organizations about the problems I have had with the treatment options, I decided it would be best to find alternative treatment options. It has been nothing short of a war with my insurance company and my doctors on which type of treatment and medication would be covered with my insurance. My insurance is very strict on what type of therapies can be sought and which medications will be paid for by the insurance. It seems like the forumulary changes on a weekly basis.
I was on medication, Depakote and Celexa, which eventually the insurance stopped covering the depakote. My insurance would cover lithium, but I have had not had much success with it in the past. I gave lithium another shot, but eventually the insurance stopped covering the lithium. Then they decided to stop covering the Celexa. My insurance company highly recommended suggestion Prozac to my doctor and I had advised them that it has triggered migraines in the past. They kept stressing the Prozac over and over and I got so frustrated that I decided just to hang up.
Eventually, I had a heated argument with my doctor over the medications and my treatment options. Apparently my insurance refused to pay for a doctors visit from a few months ago and it seemed the doctor was only focused on the past balance I owed. I wanted to make payment arrgements with the Doctor, but since it was way overdue and I never knew about it until that day, the doctor wanted payment in full. I did not have $115 to give my doctor that day. If I were still a single man, it would be no problem to come up with that much money, but I have a family to support now.
I know there are probably other options. Wal-Mart and a few other drug stores have started a program with drastically reduced generic medications, but the medicines that are on the list include very very few medications for mental illness, which are mostly anti-depressants. Only a small amount are covered.
I am still weighing options of what to do next, but I am probably going to give alternative treatments another look.
I am not one for giving up easily, but you will never win against mammoth corporations and insurance companies. It is like putting you hand on a hot stove burner, every time you touch it you will get burned.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home