ron+paul+hope+for+america
ronpaulrevolution
Your Political Profile:
Overall: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal
Social Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal
Personal Responsibility: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal
Fiscal Issues: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal
Ethics: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal
Defense and Crime: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal
How Liberal Or Conservative Are You?

Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

freedom message
Disclaimer

Personal Settings

My personal blog about the upcoming presidential election, voicing my opinions on the candidate I am supporting for the upcoming election in 2008. It may also include personal posts I may choose to add.

counters
Broadband DSL
rpaul2008
The Gross National Debt
Price of Addiction
###
to Foreign Oil
Gasoline Prices

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Minimum Wage Increases










January 1, 2007, was not only the beginning of a new year, but several states increased their state minimum wage. Pennsylvania was included in those states and now has a minimum wage of $6.25 an hour.
Personally, I do not oppose minimum wage, but I feel it is in need of drastic reform. Minimum wage was established in the United States back in the 1930's.
The Federal minimum wage should be abolished, but states should be allowed to set their own minimum wages. I absolutely feel that it belongs in the hands of the states and not the Federal Government to enforce a minimum wage.



Minimum wages do have their benefits and disadvantages. The major benefit is it establishes a standard of what a business should pay their employees. I am for employee rights. It is to ensure that businesses that employ citizens receive a minimum wage, altogether it may not always be a livable wage. It prevents scrupulous employers of taking advantage by paying a "sub-standard wage."
The biggest disadvantage is that it isn't always "business friendly." Many small businesses, also known as "Mom and Pop stores" and "Mom and Pop businesses" take the hardest blunt force of a minimum increase. It occasionally forces employees out of a job, but it is rare.
That was another point I was going to make that minimum wages increases put people out of jobs, which I find that hard to believe because I can name a lot of "low wage" entry level jobs that are hiring.
They mostly consist of those working in the food industry, primarily fast food workers and waitresses. Although I understand waitresses and waiters can make excellent money with their tips, their minimum wage is around $3 an hour. I have nothing against people working in those fields, because someone has to do it. Some people enjoy working in those environments. On a personal level it is not something for me. I know I would hate it.
Minimum wages do have advantages and disadvantages, but I feel it should be in the hands of the states and not the work of the Federal Government to decide what that determined amount should be.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home